This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through one of these links we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read our disclaimer.
Before we discuss hydration bladders, you must first know what a hydration pack is.
A hydration pack is similar to a backpack; however, it allows you to store and carry water, making it the perfect addition to your camping trip.
Furthermore, every hydration pack contains a hydration bladder.
A hydration bladder is a reservoir made of plastic that’s stored in the hydration pack.
It’s responsible for storing the water.
As you can imagine, a hydration pack can be the difference between an enjoyable camping trip or a bad one.
For example, if you want to enjoy some hiking on your weekend away, then you’re going to need a source of water, otherwise, you’re going to spend the whole day thirsty and lacking energy. (and snacks…don’t forget to pack snacks).
You could bring a water bottle; however, it won’t last long and you’ll most likely end up running out halfway through your hike.
Anyhow, we’re getting off track; let’s focus on what this article is about — Hydration bladders.
In this article, we are going to review the 7 best hydration bladders available.
8 Best Hydration Bladders
- 1. Hydrasleeve Reservoir
- 2. Lanney 2L Hydration Bladder
- 3. Aquatic Way Hydration Bladder
- 4. Kureida 2 Liter Hydration Bladder
- 5. Wacool 2L Hydration Bladder
- 6. HydraPak Shape-Shift Low-Profile Water Bladder
- 7. Osprey Hydraulics Reservoir
Taking the first position on this list is the Hydrasleeve Reservoir which is carefully designed by HydraPak.
As you may have guessed by the name, HydraPak produces high-quality hydration equipment for a number of outdoor activities.
As well as hydration bladders, you’ll find them selling water bottles, flasks, and other great accessories.
The Hydrasleeve Reservoir is a perfect example of the quality equipment they provide their customers.
- SHAPE-SHIFT 3 L RESERVOIR- features a simple to use slider top and adjustable baffle that maintains a low-profile when filled, unlock the baffle to access full reservoir volume
- INSULATED- All season hydration system with insulating foam layer and welded seams provide a durable and lightweight construction.
- PORTABLE & PACKABLE- Roll-top opens for fast filling and buckles closed for carrying and hanging, four lash points make it easy to secure to any gear or rig
It’s completely insulated meaning you can use it in the Winter, as well as the Summer.
Furthermore, if camping lightweight is your thing (which it should be), then this hydration bladder won’t let you down.
Considering it’s super-lightweight, you’d think it would be pretty small.
However, you’d be wrong…
This guy can store up to 3 liters of water, which is more than enough for one person, depending on the weather of course.
To top it off, it’s abrasion-resistant and made with welded seams, so you won’t have to worry about it getting damaged.
In the rare case that it does malfunction, HydraPak promises to replace or repair it free of charge.
Unlike HydraPak, Lanney is more of a general store and sells everything from dog leashes to beard shapers.
Although they are more diverse, the quality they provide is still exceptional.
You can see that by looking at the Lanney Hydration Bladder.
It’s made of food-grade material and is FDA certified, making it one of the best hydration bladders on the market.
The inside of the bladder is designed with a smooth material that will keep your water clean while enjoying the great outdoors.
- 【ODORLESS MATERIAL, INSULATED TUBE】All parts of the hydration bladder are made of food grade material which is BPA free and FDA certificated. The military hydration bladder is thicker and durable....
- 【LEAK-PROOF TECHNOLOGY, QUICK RELEASE TUBE】The hydration bladder tube is easy to connect and disconnect with one hand. The shutoff valve will automatically close and won’t leak without...
- 【INNOVATIVE BITE VALVE, HIGH FLOW WATER】 The hydration bladder with 90° angle bite valve helps you quickly drink so much water per sip. You only need to bend the tube with less angle to get mouth...
Keeping your water clean is only one of the many benefits…
It’s also fully insulated, so you can use it in all seasons and know your water will stay at the correct temperature.
Furthermore, as you may know, some hydration bladders tend to leave a weird taste in the user’s mouth due to the low-quality drinking tube design.
You won’t have that issue with this hydration bladder though…
As the drinking tube is of superior quality.
In addition, the bladder itself is made from the highest military-grade double-edge seams, preventing any water from leaking.
It also contains a shut-off valve for when you want to remove the drinking tube and refill.
- Reputable brand
- FDA certified
- Keeps water clean
- No weird odor
- Only includes two clips
Aquatic Way is a reputable company that produces high-quality outdoor products for their customers.
Not just any old equipment though…
They specialize in making hydration packs and bladders that don’t disappoint.
The Aquatic Way Hydration Bladder has a thick water bag that doesn’t break under pressure thanks to the TPU material it’s designed with.
Although hydration bladders are meant to keep water cool, some of them cause the water to become warm after a while.
That’s why Aquatic Way has created this hydration bladder with a large opening, meaning you can add ice, ensuring your water stays cool throughout your camping and hiking adventures.
- MATERIALS: This BPA free 2 liter hydration bladder uses safest drinkware materials of high quality. The bladder is made of thick TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) material that's pressure & wear...
- LARGE OPENING LETS YOU EASILY REACH INNER SURFACES AND ADD ICE. Cleaning is key to longevity of all backpacking bladders. Clean it properly, dry with ease, and add ice directly from scoop or...
- TUBE CAN BE DETACHED WHEN FULL: The bladder holds water even with the tube is removed. This makes it easy to place the bladder in an icebox, refrigerator, etc. The QUICK RELEASE connector mechanism...
Furthermore, it’s designed with special leak-proof technology, meaning you won’t have to worry about any leaking.
The mouthpiece has a 90-degree turn, so you can access your water supply even while on the move.
That’s why this hydration bladder is perfect for hiking, canoeing, or any other camping activities you can think of.
If you want to disconnect the tube for storage, simply unclip it from the tube connecter and you’re good to go.
It’s also not recommended to store this hydration bladder in the freezer with the mouthpiece tube connected…
Unless you want to end up with a frozen mouthpiece tube.
- Reputable company
- Doesn’t break under pressure
- Large opening for ice
- 90-degree turn mouthpiece
- Perfect for activities requiring movement
- Can be difficult to clean
If you’re looking for the most rigid hydration bladder that won’t break under pressure, then the Kureida Hydration is the one you’ve been looking for.
It’s made with a double sealing side technique, so it won’t break under most circumstances.
The reservoir is also BPA free, meaning you won’t experience any nasty taste in your water which can be common with some hydration bladders.
As you may have guessed from the title, this guy can hold up to 2 liters of water and is 100% leakproof.
- ⭐【PREMIUM QUALITY】All parts of the KUREIDA hydration bladder are made of premium material . KUREIDA water reservoir is taste free, BPA free. It won’t leave a bad taste in your drink. The water...
- ⭐【LARGE OPENING FOR EASY CLEANING AND FILLIN】KUREIDA hydration bladder has one of the largest opening on the market. The big opening makes for easy pouring of water. It is also fairly wide for a...
- ⭐【100% LEAK PROOF】Soft mouthpiece with easily accessible ON/OFF valve prevents leakage. Conveniently control the water flow by biting, when not bite, the water will not leak out. Quick-release...
We say it won’t leak because the quality is unlike anything else you can find on the market.
In addition, the large opening allows you to insert ice cubs which we strongly recommend if you’re camping in a hot climate.
Even if a company says their hydration bladder will keep your water cool, it’s always good to have a backup solution.
I don’t know about you guys, but we can’t stand drinking warm water, especially when the sun’s beaming down on us.
To drink the water in the hydration bladder, simply bite down on the mouthpiece and the flow of water will begin.
- No nasty taste
- Opening for ice cubes
- On/off mouthpiece valve
- Would be better if it held more water
The Wacool 2L Hydration Bladder features a range of amazing benefits that will enhance your camping or hiking experience.
To start with, it can hold up to 2L of water that will not contain any nasty odors that some other brands produce.
The opening is also a little different from some of the other hydration bladders on the list…
It has a wide top opening design which allows you to add ice cubes while making it extremely easy to clean.
Talking of cleaning…
- Capacity: 2 Liter (70oz), 100% odorless, tasteless, BPA- Free PEVA material
- Wide top opening design. As the most popular design for high end hydration systems in recent years, this allows you to refill and clean easily.
- Quick release hose connector with self-lock system, easy to connect or remove, and will not leak water when the hose is removed.
You’ll also get a brush for the main bladder; the tube, and one for the mouthpiece.
With this equipment included, theirs no reason why it shouldn’t last you a long time.
The hose connector features a self-lock system, meaning that even if the hose is disconnected, the hydration bladder won’t leak.
However, this monster of a hydration bladder does come with a downside.
You will have to clean it in salt water for one hour before using it for the first time.
This shouldn’t be an issue for most people; however, if you’re time-conscious, you may be better suited to one of the other options on this list.
- 2L storage capacity
- Wide top design
- Can insert ice cubes
- Includes cleaning kit
- Need to clean before first use
Taking the sixth position on this list is another great hydration bladder from HydraPak.
Told you these guys know what they’re doing.
You can choose between a 2-liter or 3-liter option. We recommend sticking with the 3-liter option as the added weight won’t make much of a difference.
Plus, you can never have enough water, especially if you’re out in the wilderness by yourself.
Similar to the Wacool Hydration Bladder, this one also has an open-top design, making it easy to clean and ice cube friendly.
- ADJUSTABLE BAFFLE: Low-profile and increased stabilization for high impact activities – mountain biking, snowboarding, skiing, hiking, running – unlock baffle for full volume
- PLUG-N-PLAY CONNECT SYSTEM: Easily disconnect the drink tube (an auto shutoff valve prevents leaking) and remove the reservoir from your pack for convenient refilling or in-line filtering
- NEW HIGHER-FLOW: Engineered with high performance features including the Blaster Bite Valve with a twist on/off valve
It’s also fully reversible, meaning you can flip it inside out and get into all the hard to reach corners.
The only issue is it doesn’t include a cleaning kit…
Guess you can’t have everything though.
Furthermore, the valve that connects the tube to the bladder has a shut-off valve, so it won’t leak when the tube is disconnected.
To top it off, it’s compact enough to fit in your backpack and has enough room left over for other personal belongings.
The only downside we discovered is that the baffle is difficult to get back together after it’s been taken apart.
- 2 or 3-liter option
- Open-top design
- Add ice cubes
- Fully reversible
- Easy to clean
- Hard to reconnect baffle
If you like the best of the best, then Osprey is your go-to company.
If you’re an experienced camper or hiker, you’ve probably heard of them before…
They’re known for producing some of the best backpacks on the market.
But little do people know, they also design great hydration bladders and the Osprey Hydraulics Reservoir is no exception.
It features a slide-seal top opening, providing easy access for cleaning while allowing you to store ice cubes to keep your water nice and cool.
To begin the flow of water, you need to gently bite down on the mouthpiece.
- Easy Slide-Seal top opening, seals watertight and provides wide access for easy filling and cleaning
- Hydrostatic backerplate provides structure to shove a full reservoir into a fully loaded pack and maintains a flat profile
- Hydrapak Blaster bite valve offers fast, smooth water flow with a ¼ twist on/off switch
You can also turn the water supply on and off using the switch provided, helping prevent any unnecessary leaking from built-up water inside the tube.
Furthermore, it’s made to be super-lightweight, so it won’t weigh you down when out there hiking through the wilderness.
Or running away from a bear…
Anyhow, you’ll be glad to hear that it’s also dishwasher friendly for those of you that hate cleaning things by hand.
The only downside we found is that the mouthpiece doesn’t rotate, which can make it harder to use if you’re on the move.
- One of the best companies
- Slide-seal top opening
- On/off valve
- Can add ice cubes
- The mouthpiece doesn’t rotate
What To Look For When Buying A Hydration Bladder
If you’re looking to get the best hydration bladder, then theirs some things you need to look out for to ensure you get the best deal.
Let’s take a look at them below…
Easy To Clean
If you’re going to be using your hydration bladder on a consistent basis, then it’s going to become dirty at some point.
That’s why you need to ensure it’s easy to clean before you purchase it in the first place.
Hydration bladders that are easy to clean typically have a large water opening, allowing you to get inside and get to work.
There is one exception.
Some hydration bladders include a cleaning kit that allows you to clean inside with only a small opening.
Furthermore, if the hydration bladder you purchase doesn’t have a cleaning kit, then we recommended buying one separately as they will allow you to give the mouthpiece and tube a good clean.
As we all learned in elementary school, ice is water in a solid form; therefore putting it in your hydration bladder won’t damage it in any way.
Not all hydration bladders are built equal.
As discussed in the previous section, some bladders come with a large opening, whereas others contain a small hole.
If you want to add ice, then the hydration bladder you purchase needs to have a larger enough opening.
In addition, most hydration bladders say they will keep the water cool without the need for ice; however, we wouldn’t recommend taking this advice seriously.
This may be one of the most important aspects to look out for when buying a hydration bladder.
It could also be the difference between life and death if you end up getting stranded in the wilderness.
Chances of that happening are quite low though…
So let’s keep it positive.
Anyhow, you want to choose a hydration bladder that offers enough water, plus some more leftover in case of emergencies.
It’s also good to take into consideration the climate you’re going to be using the hydration bladder in…
If you’re in a cold climate, then you’re going to require more water.
On the flip side, if it’s the middle of winter and you’re going to spend most of the time covered in snow, then you’re not going to require as much water.
Unless you’re a fan of covering yourself and your equipment in water, then you’re going to want to make sure the hydration bladder you buy is leak-proof.
A lot of companies out there will say their products are leak-proof; however, you’re not going to know until you’ve tested it out for yourself.
That’s why we recommend sticking to the most well-known brands with the best reviews — similar to the ones on this list.
It’s no secret that spending time hiking, camping, canoeing, or even walking requires a substantial amount of water.
You can go down the old-fashioned route and buy a water bottle…
Or you can join us in the 21st century and invest in a high-quality hydration bladder.
Not only can they store a lot more water, but they also fit in your backpack and don’t need to be carried like a water bottle.