This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through one of these links we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read our disclaimer.
Although camping is meant to be an experience in nature without the need for constant stimulation from technology, a small camping generator can come in handy, especially if you find yourself in an emergency situation.
If however, you do enjoy a bit of technology while camping, then a small generator allows you to charge all your electronic devices without needing to have access to an outlet socket.
When you look at some of the generators on this list, you may feel a little intimidated by all the buttons and different voltages; however, you can rest assured that they are super-easy once you get the hang of how to use them.
Here Are The Top Small Generators For Camping In 2021
Best Electric Generator – Aimtom 300-Watt Portable Power Station
Best For Families – Westinghouse iGen160s Power Station
Most Portable – Jackery Portable Power Station
Most Popular – Rav Portable Power Station
Has LED Screen – SereneLife Portable Generator
In this article, we are going to take a look at the 11 best small generators for camping. We will also discuss the different generators you can find on the market, as well as how to choose the right one.
If you have a lot of things requiring power, then this small generator is the one for you. It hosts a whopping 300W of power, which can charge up to 10 devices at the same time.
With this in mind, we recommend getting this power station if you’re going to be camping with a large group of people.
It’s powered by a 250Watt lithium battery, so you won’t have to worry about filling it up with gas when it runs out.
- ▲ POWER ALL YOUR OUTDOOR ADVENTURES: A reliable, powerful and portable power station for your upcoming camping, hunting or fishing trips. No maintenance. No gas. No mess. No fuss.
- ▲ GIGANTIC POWER SUPPLY FOR ALL YOUR NEEDS: This 300W portable power station packs a massive 75,000mAh 280Wh lithium battery that will re-charge drones, digital cameras, tablets and personal medical...
- ▲ CHARGE ALL YOUR DEVICES WITH SAFETY: Features an 110V/300W AC port, four USB ports(two are Quick Charge), three 12V outputs, one 24V output and one 12V car port. Simultaneously charge up to 10...
Electric heaters can be both a blessing and a curse, depending on what you’re looking for. They are great because you don’t have to refill them with gas; however, you may find it difficult to find a power outlet to charge the battery when camping.
Luckily, this generator can be recharged using your car port, so you won’t have to worry about finding a power socket, which is great for camping — hence why it made the top of the list.
Furthermore, you can take advantage of the intelligent BMS (battery management system), which will prevent your devices from overheating and overcharging, which is great as charging a phone for too long can damage the battery.
In addition, it’s almost silent, so if you decide to use it at night, you can have peace of mind that you aren’t going to wake anybody up in your tent, or campsite.
- 300W of power
- Can charge 10 devices at the same time
- Powered by an electric battery
- Can charge with a car port
- Won’t disturb people who are sleeping
- The built-in fan uses some of the generators power to operate
When purchasing the Westinghouse Power Station, you can choose between a 155, 194, or 296-watt option. With each increase in power level, the power station will be able to charge more devices for longer.
If you’re camping with a large group of people, we recommend choosing the 296-watt option, as this will give you the best bang for your buck. It’s also worth mentioning that the 296-watt option allows you to charge up to 7 devices at the same time, which is plenty for camping with a small group of people.
- VERSATILE OUTLETS CHARGE UP TO 9 DEVICES AT THE SAME TIME: Pushing 100 Rated Watts and 150 Peak Watts Through (2) 120V Household Outlets, (2) USB Ports, (1) Quick Charge USB Port, (1) USB-C Port, (3)...
- HOURS & HOURS OF POWER ON A SINGLE CHARGE: 155 Watt-Hours of Lithium-Ion Battery Capacity - Provides Long-Lasting Power That Charges Smartphones Up To 17 Times, Tablets Up to 9 Times, DSLR Cameras Up...
- SMALLEST, LIGHTEST PORTABLE POWER STATION IN ITS CLASS: At 3.75 lb. the iGen160s Is Lighter Than a Full 36 oz. Yeti Rambler and Smaller Than a Lunchbox - Backpack Ready Mini Generator With a...
To put this power bank into perspective, it allows you to charge a single mobile up to 31 times, so you can sleep well knowing that you won’t run out of charge when camping.
However, the power output isn’t the only thing this product has to offer. You’ll also be glad to hear that it weighs in at only 6lbs, making it one of the lightweight power banks on the market.
With this in mind, you can kiss goodbye to the days where you’ve had to carry a large power bank around with you when camping.
When it comes to charging this power bank, you can connect it to a standard power outlet in your home, or you can charge it in your car. In terms of how long it takes to charge, it takes 8 hours using a car, and only 6 hours when connected to a standard power outlet.
- Multiple power choices
- Charge 7 devices at the same time
- Can charge a phone 31 times
- Easy car charging
- Great for electronic devices; however, if you charging stuff that requires a lot of power, then it might not have the power capabilities
If you decide to purchase the Jackery Power Station, then you’ll be glad to hear it has multiple different outputs. You will get an AC output, two USB ports, and one DC car port.
Using these different outlets, you’ll be able to power phones, laptops, lights, fans, mini coolers, and more.
Furthermore, Jackery designed this power station with camping in mind. It includes a small handle, allowing you to carry it around with you easily. It is also worth mentioning that it only weighs 6.6lbs, which is great for camping as you don’t want to be traveling with heavy equipment.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: The Jackery Explorer 240 portable power station has been featured as the "Best Portable Power Station for use in the outdoors" by Digital Trends. A classic choice for your pick.
- EASY TO CARRY: This entry-level portable power station is equipped with a 240Wh lithium-ion battery pack, weighing only at 6.6 pounds. The solid handle makes it easy to carry around for outdoor...
- VERSATILE POWER SOURCE: 1* Pure Sine Wave AC outlet (110V 200W 400W Peak), 2* USB-A ports (5V, 2.4A), and 1* 12V DC car port to charge your road trip essentials such as smartphones, laptops, cameras,...
After consistent use, it will need re-charging. You can do this using a wall or car outlet. You can also use a solar panel if you want to be eco-friendly; however, it’s not included in your purchase.
Jackery is there to support you every step of the way. They offer great customer service for up to two years after you’ve purchased this product, so if anything goes wrong (which we’re sure won’t happen), then simply send the customer service team a message and they will come up with a solution.
When it comes to the downsides, there aren’t many to talk about; however, we did find that this power bank isn’t compatible with devices over 200W, so it wouldn’t be able to power a blender, pressure cooker, or a heated travel mug.
- Two USB ports
- Small handle
- Recharge with car outlet
- Great customer support
- Isn’t suitable for devices over 200W
To be honest, this generator looks more like a small stereo rather than a power station; however, that doesn’t mean it does not have the power to keep your devices up and running when camping.
A laptop, mini-fridge, camera, and drone are just some of the things this 110V power bank can charge — no wonder it’s loved by millions of people throughout the camping community.
Rav have not only designed it to be compact and lightweight for camping, but they have also made it possible to charge this power bank using a solar panel. If you want to go down this route, then we recommend using a solar power charger with an output of 80W.
No products found.
With such a compact design, you’d think it wouldn’t be able to hold much charge; however, you’d be wrong. Inside this power bank is a high-density LG battery that has 70200mah of power, keeping your devices charging for hours on end.
In addition, there is a built-in fan that helps keep everything cool and prevents overheating. You won’t have to worry about the noise levels either, as it operates under 50dB. Also, it only kicks in once the power bank reaches temperatures of 122℉.
- Loved by millions of campers
- Built-in fan
- Can charge it with a solar panel
- Uses two-prong outlets rather than three-prong
The Serenelife Portable Generator is small; yet packs a punch when it comes to power output. This power generator has AC, USD, and 12V DC outputs, so it can charge pretty much anything within a certain power range.
On the front of the generator is a LED screen that displays how much battery it has left. This is ideal if you’re camping in a tent without any lights, and need to check the battery percentage.
When the battery does finally run out, you have three options when it comes to re-charging. You can either use a wall outlet, car socket, or a solar panel (sold separately). In addition, you will also get a car charger included with your purchase, making this a great option for camping.
- AC, USB and 12V DC OUTPUTS: Our powerful generator includes variety of outputs, 110V Dual AC outlet (max 100W), 3 - 12V DC ports ( max 180W,with an extra cigarette socket cable), 2 - 5V USB ports, to...
- 3 CHARGING MODES: This Generator can be recharged by connecting to a solar panel (SOLD SEPARATELY), or can be fully charged in 8 hours by being plugged into wall outlet, it can also be charged by...
- UPGRADED POWER: The SereneLife generator has a upgraded powerful power capacity, 40800mAh, built in USB and DC ports, Perfect emergency power backup for home, travel, camping, backseat on long road...
In terms of downsides, some customers have said that it takes more than 8 hours to charge fully; however, once fully charged it will last you for a long time.
- Has great power output
- Can charge multiple devices at the same time
- LED screen to see how much battery it has left
- Car charger included in your purchase
- USB ports
- Can take a while to fully charge
Whether you’re looking to charge your laptops, mobile phones, or even emergency equipment — the Anker Powerhouse 200 has got you covered.
You will also be able to charge multiple devices at the same time, keeping everybody happy, while preventing any unnecessary arguments when camping with the family.
Furthermore, the compact design means you’ll be able to bring it anywhere your camping adventures take you. It’s also super-lightweight, so it won’t slow you down when hiking.
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 50 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Universal Compatibility: Pump out the power for mobile devices, emergency equipment, computers, and small appliances.
- Hours of Power: Charge a MacBook Pro over 5 times, a phone over 12, or even run small appliances like mini-fridges for over 4 hours.
In fact, the Anker Powerhouse 200 won an award for having the most innovative and portable design on the market, so you can rest assured this company knows a thing or two about making high-quality generators.
Similar to the previous generator, this one also features a LED display, providing you with information regarding how much battery it has left. Not only is this great for when it’s dark, but it also adds a modern feel to the Powerhouse 200.
On top of all these great benefits, you’ll also be covered by an 18-month warranty, making this purchase risk-free. Anker also has a great customer support team, that is there to answer any questions you may have.
- Charge multiple devices at the same time
- You can take it anywhere
- Modern look and LED screen
- Only suitable for small-medium size devices
So far, all the generators on this list are battery-powered; however, the Duromax Portable Generator runs on fuel. The benefit of this is that it has a lot more power, allowing you to charge larger appliances and devices.
With this in mind, you’re probably wondering if the extra money you’re going to spend on a fuel generator is actually worth it. The answer to that question depends on what you’re going to be charging.
If you’re planning to power a full-size refrigerator, this is a great generator; however, if you’re only looking to charge small electronic devices, then you’d be better sticking with a battery-powered alternative.
- POWERFUL DUROMAX ENGINE: The XP2200EH is powered by a DuroMax 79cc 4-Cycle Air-Cooled Spark Ignition
- DUAL FUEL TECHNOLOGY: The ability to run on Propane or Gasoline allows the Freedom and Flexibility of Fuel Choice
- PLENTY OF POWER: With 2,200 starting watts and 1, 800 running watts, This unit provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs and help with fun at your campsite
Furthermore, you can expect it to last 10-12 hours at full capacity, and 20 hours when running at 50%. When it does eventually run out of fuel, you can simply refill it without having to wait for it to re-charge like you would with a battery-powered generator.
As well as looking at the benefits, we also had a look at some of the negatives customers were experiencing with this generator. We discovered that even though it is said to be quiet, the mechanical noise can be a little loud at times.
- Powered by fuel
- Very powerful
- Can last up to 20 hours
- Can easily re-fuel
- Can be a little noisy
The great thing about the Briggs & Stratton P2200 Generator is that it can be purchased in a number of different power levels; however, this does come with a minor downside.
If you choose one of the more powerful variations, then it’s going to be a lot bigger; and we all know how important it is to keep everything as lightweight and compact as possible when camping.
Similar to the previous option on this list, this one is also powered by fuel. However, unlike the Duromax Generator, it doesn’t produce as much noise, so you won’t have to worry about waking your camping buddies.
- Quiet and fuel efficient 111 cc OHV engine produces 2,200 starting watts and 1700 running watts
- USB port allows charging of portable electronics in order to stay connected. Muffler: Super Lo-tone. Start type: Recoil
- Parallel connector port allows connection between 2 units for more power
It’s also worth mentioning that it may be noisy when you first turn it on. You will need to flip a switch to activate the quiet power technology. This will automatically adjust engine speed, dramatically reducing noise levels.
Furthermore, the H-shaped handle means you can easily transport this generator from place to place without putting any unnecessary strain on your back.
In addition, if you have back problems, the handle design allows two people to carry it at the same time, preventing any additional injuries from occurring — because the last thing you want is to have your camping trip ruined by an injury.
- Doesn’t produce a lot of noise
- H-shaped handle
- Reputable brand
- You have to pay for fuel
Although the Krieger Power Generator isn’t much to look at, Kreiger has gone above and beyond, to make sure it performs to the highest standard. It has two power and USB sockets, allowing you to charge multiple devices at once.
When it comes to charging this bad boy, it’s a little different than you’d expect. Rather than plugging it into your car outlet socket, you will need to connect it to your vehicle’s battery with the cables provided.
On the front is a small LED screen, providing you with all the important metrics such as the battery output, output wattage, and a warning indicator that tells you if there is a voltage overload or overheating problem.
- 1100 watts continuous power, 2200 watts peak power, KR1100 Modified Sine Wave Car Inverter converts 12V DC to 120V AC Power, Connect DC battery cables directly to your vehicles battery and you have...
- Our version of an all-inclusive! Wired Remote control included - ANL Fuse kit + 3 ft Battery Cables Included
- We have your back – This inverter has all the protections that you will need, Overload, Temperature, short circuit and all of these protections are displayed on the LCD, the LCD Display also shows...
However, the chance of this guy experiencing a voltage overload is extremely low as it’s been tested by and approved by METLAB for its safety and performance.
In fact, Krieger is so confident in this product that they offer a 3-year parts and labor warranty, so should anything break, you can get it fixed with no questions asked.
In terms of downsides, some customers said that the battery cables included aren’t the best; however, you will still be able to power this generator up with no issues.
- USB sockets
- Charges using a car battery
- LED screen
- METLAB certified
- Warranty included
- The battery cables included aren’t the best
Not only is this power generator great at keeping all your electrical devices charged, but it also doubles up as a lighting system, which is great if you’re camping in a dark tent and need a source of lighting.
You can change the brightness of the lights between two different settings — half-bright and super-bright. When fully charged, you can use this feature continuously for 64 hours.
Talking of charging, a typical power outlet isn’t the only way of charging this power generator, as you can also recharge it using a solar panel. You’ll be glad to hear that you get a solar panel included with this purchase, which is pretty badass if you ask us!
- 【 26000mAh/84Wh High Capacity Battery 】- Solar Powered Generator, 12 years lifespan, cycle more than 3000 times, storage solar generator power to battery with solar panel and supply power to LED...
- 【 Meet Long Continuous Lighting Needs 】- The generator built-in lights of 2 levels, full charged continue lighting up 64 hours. 3 external lamps with individual switch continue lighting up 40...
- 【 Lightweight and Compact】- Portable power station, only 2.1 lbs weight, plug and play. Comes with a handle, easy to carry. Perfect emergency power backup for home and widely applicable to travel,...
If you’re going down the route of charging this power station with the solar panel, then it’s recommended to allow one day for it to fully charge.
The power station itself only weighs 2.1lbs, so it’s super-lightweight and compact. Due to its small and compact design, you’ll be able to bring it anywhere your camping adventure takes you.
In addition to these great benefits, we have also gone through and checked whether any customers had any bad experiences with this power station. The only thing we could find, was the instructions aren’t very clear when it comes to using the solar panel.
- Doubles up as a lighting system
- Includes solar panel for charging
- USB output
- Instructions could be a little clearer
When you purchase the Champion Fuel Generator, you get the best of both worlds. Although it’s powered by fuel, it has an electric start, so you won’t have to tug on a rope start lead a thousand times to get it powered up.
Simply turn the 3-point ignition switch, pull the rope start lead once, and you’re good to go. It’s also worth mentioning that you’ll get a battery included with your purchase, so you can use this power station straight out of the box.
If you haven’t got access to gasoline, then you can also power this generator using propane. The benefit of this is that it will last longer, up to 15 hours to be precise. Also, you will get a propane hose included in your purchase.
- Dual Fuel – Operate your 3400-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 0.6-quarts of oil (recommended 10W-30) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Convenient Electric Start with 3-Position Ignition Switch – Battery included, plus Quick Touch Panel allows you to access all your controls in one spot.Noise Level :59 dBA at 23 feet. Frequency 60...
- Ultra-Quiet Operation – 59 dBA is perfect for RVs, tailgating, your next project or backup power for your home, featuring 3400 starting watts and 3100 running watts with up to 7.5 hours run time on...
On the flip side, using it with gasoline will provide you an average of 8 hours of run time before it needs to be refilled.
When it comes to noise levels, you can sleep well knowing you won’t be waking up your camping neighbors with this power station, as it features a 59dBA noise level at 23 feet.
Furthermore, if you’re a fan of Winter camping, then the Champion Fuel Generator is designed with cold start technology, allowing you to get it started in extreme conditions.
- Electric start
- Powered by fuel or propane
- Includes propane hose
- Works in extreme conditions
- Lasts up to 15 hours (with propane)
What Makes A Great Small Generator For Camping?
Not all generators are made equal, so it’s important you choose one that’s designed for camping and will last you a long time. To get an idea of what makes a good generator, take a look at the sections below.
There’s no denying it, generators aren’t the cheapest piece of camping equipment on the market. If you get one without a warranty, then you could be out of luck if it decides to break.
However, in most cases, your generator will be fine, especially if you decide to purchase one from the list above.
When camping, you’re probably not going to have access to a power outlet to charge your generator, so you’re going to need to compromise. Luckily, most electric generators can be charged using your car socket outlet.
It’s important to make sure though, otherwise, you could end up stuck in the middle of nowhere with no way of getting power and electricity.
If you’re camping on a campsite, you don’t want to be making too much noise while everybody else is trying to sleep.
The companies that manufacture generators know this, and design their generators to be as quiet as possible; however, it’s always a good idea to check with the company.
Fuel VS Electric: What’s The Difference?
It can be hard to differentiate between fuel and electric-powered generators. To keep it as simple as possible, a fuel-powered generator can provide more power than an electric alternative, allowing you to charge up and power larger devices such as microwaves and refrigerators.
Also, another benefit is that fuel-powered generators don’t take time to recharge. You can simply change the fuel once it has run out, and re-start the generator immediately.
Getting a generator not only allows you to power and charge your devices, but also closes the gap between yourself and the outside world. This can be a blessing or curse depending on how you like your camping trips to go.
We hope this article has helped you choose the best small generator for camping. If you have any more questions, drop a comment below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.