This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through one of these links we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read our disclaimer.
This is a review of the best tent stakes for hard ground.
We’re a family of four who has been camping our whole lives, so we know how to choose the best tent stakes.
Out of our top five picks, we found the Adventure Seeka 15 Pack to be the best for hard ground.
Not only are these stakes made from high-quality material, but they can also be secured into the ground using an impact wrench or drill, giving you more time to focus on the important things…
Like roasting marshmallows around the campfire!
In this article, we will take a more in-depth look at the five best tent stakes for hard ground. We will also show you how to choose the best ones, in case you want to do further research.
8 Best Tent Stakes For Hard Ground
Best Overall – Adventure Seeka 15 Pack
Glow In The Dark Feature – Yiliaw Tent Stakes
Strongest Hold – Lakesstory 12 Inch Tent Pegs
Includes A Drill Bit – Outback Element – 15 x Heavy Duty Steel Tent Stakes
Comes With Removable Handle – Primal Force Heavy Duty Ground Stakes/Pegs
Reputable Brand – Wise Owl Outfitters Tent Stakes
Has An Attachment For Stake Puller – Azarxis Tent Pegs
Includes Lightweight Hammer – Sahara Sailor Tent Stakes
The great thing about the Adventure Seeka 15 Pack is they can be drilled into the ground using a cordless drill or impact driver, saving you time and energy.
Because who wants to waste time hammering tent pegs into the ground!?
The use of a drill also makes it easier if you’re working on hard ground, so it’s a win-win.
- ✅ EASY TO USE - Our Drill-In Tent Stakes are perfect for campers who are looking to spend less time setting up and more time enjoying the outdoors! With the help of a cordless drill or impact...
- ✅ HIGH QUALITY & DURABLE - Made from high-quality steel with a threaded end for easy insert and superior grip when drilling into various hard surfaces. The top of the stake conveniently glows...
- ✅ STRONG AND SECURE - The Adventure Seeka Drillable Tent Stakes are designed for extra strength in windy conditions and are suitable for use in grass, dirt, harder soils and sand.
When it comes to the material used, these pegs are made from high-quality steel, so you won’t have to worry about your tent blowing away.
Attached to the top of each peg is a piece of plastic that glows in the dark. This helps locate them in case you need to pitch your tent at night.
What’s more, if you’re camping in harsh conditions and wondering if these pegs will hold your tent, you can bet money they will!
As well as being made from high-quality materials, they are also designed to withstand windy conditions; in all types of grass, soil, and sand.
In the rare off-chance these pegs break, you can contact Adventure Seeka and their support team will be more than happy to help.
- Can be used with a drill
- Saves times
- Prevents your tent from blowing away
- Can be used in grass, soil, and sand
- Comes with a guarantee
Whether you’re trying to hold down a tent or canopies, these stakes won’t let you down. They are made from forged steel, and won’t bend when being hammered into the ground.
Each peg is designed with a fluorescent ring attached to it, allowing you to see where the pegs are located in the dark. Alternatively, you can use this feature to pitch a tent during the night.
- Special tent stakes are designed as a multi-use tool for nailing large tents, canopies, tarps to the ground while outdoor camping and picnic,Long and large stakes can make your tents safe.
- Sturdy enough to avoid being out of shape with hammer. - Special head with hook and hole and the sharp tip of the stake make it easier to use. - Heavy duty material – forged steel – keeps the...
- Product Specifications: - pegs are about 12 inches/8 inches long whose diameter is about 0.4 inch，Equipped with a fluorescent ring (light absorption before use)
Keep in mind that it needs to have absorbed light throughout the day, for the fluorescent ring to function.
Next to the fluorescent ring is a hook, allowing you to tie rope and secure the tent. When using these pegs, make sure to hammer them in at a 60-degree angle. They should also be protruding out of the ground at about 1.5 inches.
- Don’t bend
- Easy to locate in the dark
- Hook for rope
- Forged steel
- Eight to twelve inches long
- The fluorescent rings don’t stay lit for long
While everybody is trying to find the best-looking tent pegs, we recommend choosing something simple, that gets the job done.
Like the Lakesstory 12 Inch Tent Pegs.
They aren’t the best-looking tent pegs around. In fact, they don’t even come with the standard accessories we’d like to see.
- GALVANIZED TENT STAKES – high-quality steel makes our ground stakes resistant to rust. Sturdy and durable, these heavy-duty garden tarp stakes withstand a hammer and aren’t bent even in rocky...
- ANTI-SLIP DESIGN of the camping stakes provides real gripping power, so these tarp stakes won’t easily come up. The metal stakes stay firmly in any type of ground. Use the landscaping stakes in...
- GREAT HOLDING POWER – the canopy stakes can hold even the largest tents during storms. They also serve well as sand tent stakes or beach tent stakes.
However, they sure as hell know how to keep a tent pegged into the ground, regardless of how hard it is.
The pegs have sharp spikes on the bottom, so you can cut through hard ground. They are also covered in metal grooves, keeping them in place and preventing your tent from becoming unsecured.
What’s more, each peg is made from high-quality steel that is corrosion and rust-resistant, allowing you to camp in any weather without worrying about damaging the pegs.
But can you use these pegs when you’re not camping?
Absolutely! They can be used as garden tarp stakes, yard stakes, landscape stakes, and much more.
- A strong grip helps them stay in the ground
- Sharp entrance point for hard ground
- Rust and corrosion-resistant
- Portable and lightweight
- Aren’t the most aesthetically pleasing
If you’re looking for a set of tent pegs that include some special accessories, then keep reading; this kit is exactly what you’re looking for!
It includes 15 stakes, a 13mm drill bit, and a carry bag to keep everything safe.
- BONUS - Canvas bag and 13mm Hex Drill Bit
- SPEED - Setup faster so you can sit back with a beer while watching other campers struggle
- STRENGTH - Sick of bent stakes? Drilling these strong steel stakes into hard ground is easy
Using the 13mm drill bit, these stakes will be in the ground within seconds, giving you more time to focus on the important things; like enjoying a beer.
This also makes it easier when you’re camping on hard ground. Sometimes it can be difficult to hammer pegs into hard ground with a hammer. But with a drill, you won’t have any issues.
- Includes a drill bit
- Can be used with a drill
- Glow in the dark
- Includes carry bag
- They don’t bend
With a brand name like ‘Primal Force’, you won’t need to worry about your tent blowing away with these pegs.
They are some of the easiest to use on the market, and because you get so many, you’re never going to run out!
But that’s not the best thing…
- EASIEST TO USE TENT PEGS ON THE MARKET
20 off corrosion resistant heavy duty Tent Stakes/ Pegs, 8 "/ 205mm long. The lower 3"/ 75mm of the stake has a spiral to grip the ground. The spiral grip...
- BEST HEAVY DUTY TENT STAKES FOR HARD GROUND
- Don’t let camping be frustrating before you’ve even gotten the tent up! Our steel tent pegs are the best for really hard or rocky dirt. Unlike...
- STURDY PLASTIC CARRY CASE
- Kit comes in a convenient sturdy plastic carry case to keep your stakes tidy and neat..
The best thing is these pegs are specifically designed for hard ground, so they won’t bend when hammered in. And when they are in the ground, they will stay secure.
Included with your purchase is a removal handle, allowing you to remove the stakes effortlessly.
Because we all know how difficult it can be when done by hand!
Once your camping trip is over, all 20 pegs can be stored in the plastic case provided. This prevents them from getting lost and damaged.
Although we are confident they are of great quality, we wanted to double-check by looking at the reviews.
After reading what previous customers had to say, we discovered that a lot of people were buying these pegs, to replace the standard ones that came with their tent.
And the results were great!
People no longer had to deal with cheap pegs that kept breaking and coming loose from the ground.
- Easy to hammer in the ground
- Won’t bend when hammering
- They remain in place
- Perfect for harder ground
- Includes 20 pegs
- It’s easy to accidentally hit and damage the plastic tabs on each peg
Wise Owl is a US-based company that has been featured on Men’s Health, CNN, Forbes, and Buzzfeed, so you know you’re in good hands with these guys.
When purchasing these stakes, you can choose between aluminum or heavy-duty steel.
While steel may seem like the more suitable option for hard ground, the aluminum ones also work great.
- DURABLE: Built to last a lifetime, our heavy-duty yard stakes are made from premium 7075 grade aluminum that won't bend or fail on you.
- SECURE: With a three-sided design and a deep, 7.25-inch stake length, our tent pegs will hold securely in all soil and sand.
- PORTABLE: Lightweight and convenient, our tent stake set weighs only 13g apiece and packs down small into its included stuff sack. Throw it in your backpack and go!
Not only do they offer superior holding power, but they are also super-lightweight, so you won’t be weighed down when camping.
Included in this set are 16 pegs, meaning you’ll have enough holding power for multiple tents. If you’ve only got one tent, then you can keep the others as spares.
If you do run into any issues, you can contact Wise Owl and their customer service team will be able to assist you.
- Made for hard ground
- 16 stakes included
- Well-known brand
- Great Customer Service team
- Not recommended for sand
Similar to the Wise Owl tent stakes, Azarxis let you choose between steel or forged steel.
When we compared these two metals, we discovered that forged steel tends to be stronger due to differences in grain flows; therefore, we recommend going for forged steel for hard ground.
All eight stakes measure eight to twelve inches, giving you enough holding power when it’s windy outside.
- 🍑 STAKES SIZE: The tent stake length: 8 inch / 12 inch, Diameter: 0.28 inch / 0.35 inch, stronger than most stakes on the market
- 🍑 HIGH-QUALITY: Made of high-quality steel, which makes the metal tent stakes suitable for soft and even very hard ground
- 🍑 VERY PRACTICAL: The large flat round head design makes it easy to hammer into hard ground, and it can also be easily pulled out by a puller. Very convenient to use
What’s more, each stake has a rounded head, so it will go into the ground easily, and won’t take much time.
Unlike most cheap alternatives on the market, the Azarxis Tent Pegs won’t bend or break when being hammered in.
Just below the head is a puller attachment, making it easy to remove the pegs from the ground after your camping trip.
- Easy to hammer into the ground
- Made from forged steel for a durable design
- They won’t bend or break
- Easy to remove
- Eight to twelve inches long
- They are heavier than other stakes
Sahara Sailor has hit the nail on the head with these tent pegs…literally! You’ll get eight high-quality stakes included with your purchase, but that’s not all.
You’ll also get a free hammer!
Not only will it hammer the pegs into the ground, but if you flip it on its head, it converts into a stake puller.
- Never Deformed Tent Stakes - At 0.35 oz each, the stake is pretty lightweight for backpacking or camping, but also strong enough deal with any camping land. In our holding strength test, it could hold...
- Multi-Functional Hammer-The head and hook of tent mallet are made of forged high-carbon steel for strength, durability and rust prevention. With Ultra-light aluminum alloy handle, the camp mallet...
- Suit for Every Camping Family-Tent stakes is suitable for nailing tents, canopies, tarps, and etc. to the ground. Perfect for outdoors camping and backpacking, hiking, Gardening and etc. Long and...
At this point, you’re probably considering how much a hammer weighs.
Well, you don’t have to! The hammer you get only weighs 0.84 lbs, allowing you to keep your equipment as lightweight as possible.
Anyhow, let’s discuss the pegs…
They are made from heavy-duty iron, making them very strong. In fact, Sahara Sailor carried out a test, which concluded they could withstand up to 50lbs of force before breaking. So, unless you’re camping in a hurricane, your tent will stay standing.
In the rare off-chance you encounter any problems with these pegs, you’re covered by a 12-month Warranty.
- Comes with a lightweight hammer
- Can withstand up to 50 lbs
- Hammer can be used as a stake puller
- Made from heavy-duty iron
- 12-month warranty
- Stakes aren’t lightweight
What Type Of Stake Is Best For Hard Ground?
There are so many different stakes available in 2021, making it hard to know what’s best, especially when you throw hard ground into the mix!
When choosing tent pegs for hard ground, it’s best to look for ones with a sharp point at the bottom. This makes hammering them into the ground easier.
Optional Extras To Look Out For
You’ll notice some tent pegs can be drilled into the ground. While this doesn’t normally matter, when you’re camping on hard ground, it makes a hell of a difference.
In fact, some Tent Peg Companies will even throw in a free drill bit, making the process a whole lot easier.
Glow In The Dark
Putting a tent up in the dark can be rather difficult, especially if you haven’t been eating your carrots!
It doesn’t have to be though.
Some tent pegs come with glow-in-the-dark plastic attached to the top, allowing you to locate the stakes when it’s dark outside. This feature can also be used to prevent people from tripping over when they need to use the bathroom at night.
Most small tents require four pegs; one at each corner. However, we recommend bringing more, in case you lose some. This shouldn’t be an issue as most tent stakes come in large packs, but it’s worth keeping in mind.
If you choose the wrong tent stakes for hard ground, then it’s going to be difficult to pitch your tent, which could ruin your camping experience.
That’s why it’s important to know the location you’re going to be camping in, and plan accordingly.
We suggest picking up the Adventure Seeka 15 pack as they are the best all-around option; however, feel free to do your research.
We hope this article has helped you choose the best tent stakes for hard ground. If you have any questions, drop a comment below and we will get back to you.
Related Article: Best Small Generator For Camping