This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through one of these links we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read our disclaimer.
Ahh, the burning man festival.
A place where money means nothing.
While money is not important, a reliable tent sure is. Without one, you’re at the mercy of unpredictable weather.
Plus, you can’t sleep on the sand, right!? Unless you’re an absolute daredevil – then go ahead.
This article highlights the best tents for Burning Man.
Each product is selected based on its ability to handle bad weather, size, color, good ventilation, and more.
The Best Tent For Burning Man Festival: Top 9 Picks
1.Dream House Glamping Bell Tent (Best Overall)
- Bell tent is a human shelter for inhabiting, traveling or leisure. The design is a simple structure, supported by a single central pole, covered with cotton canvas. The stability of the tent is...
- Material: the upper cover is made of 285gsm beige cotton canvas with PU coating, waterproof index 3000mm. The seams are sealed. The lower ground sheet is made of heavy duty 540gsm PVC floor in khaki...
- Good ventilation: there are four ventilation holes on the top of the tent. For the 3m and 4m bell tent, there are four semicircular windows. While for the 5m and 6m tent, it is four rectangle windows....
The Dream House Glamping Bell Tent is perfect for anyone attending the Burning Man festival.
With a few simple benefits, such as the ability to close windows from the inside and a strong center pole, it makes your experience much more comfortable.
All doors and windows have mesh screens to provide airflow while keeping bugs out.
Read Also: Best Mosquito Repellent For Camping In 2022
And a whopping 118″ of headroom means you can easily stand up, move around, and change clothes. It also makes the experience more comfortable, especially when camping for the entire 8 days.
But how does it perform in extreme heat?
You can combat the hot desert weather by rolling up the side walls. This is great on calm days, but not recommended when the wind picks up.
Unless you enjoy a dust-filled tent!
For comfort, I recommend a maximum of 5 people. However, it can fit 8 sleeping bags.
But not without some work. Unfortunately, it takes about 40 minutes to set up, which is a pain. It also requires multiple people.
What I Like…
- Close windows from the inside
- Roll up sides for ventilation
- Spacious enough for 5 people
- Keeps the bugs out
What I Don’t Like…
- Setup requires multiple people
- Takes 40 minutes to set up
2.TETON Sports Mesa Canvas Tent (Great Durability)
- STAY DRY AND COMFORTABLE: Waterproof canvas is breathable for the best all-season protection and airflow; Mesh screens for ventilation and views; Finally, a dry, comfortable family camping experience;...
- HOME AWAY FROM HOME: Roomy tent has extra-high ceilings; Large awning protects the entry of the tent; Run power into your tent with easy access ports; 2 Loft and 2 pocket organizers; 6 - 8 person tent
- EXTRA WIDE DOORS: First of its kind, oversized front and backdoors allow you to move your camping gear in and out easily; Reliable zippers with extra-large pulls make opening your tent effortless
The Teton Sports Mesa Canvas Tent is durable, easy to assemble, and provides excellent protection against dust storms.
A cotton canvas exterior repels water, so you can stay dry when the weather takes a turn for the worst.
This tent can fit 8 people in tight quarters. However, it’s better for 3 people, especially with everyone’s equipment inside. The good news is that there is a gear loft, providing additional storage space.
After all, you need space to move around, right!?
With a center height of 77″, you can stand up. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for all tents on this list.
Read Also: Best Cabin Tents In 2022
Setup is also a breeze. With 2 people, it shouldn’t take any longer than 5 minutes. More time to enjoy the festival, huh!?
Furthermore, the large awning provides shade during the hottest days of the Burning Man Festival. However, it may get damaged in windstorms, so don’t leave it out during these times!
If you do encounter dust storms, doors and windows can be fully closed, preventing sand and dust from entering.
In terms of downsides, I found it weighs 80lbs. Wow – that’s heavy.
What I Like…
- Can withstand wind and dust storms
- Setup takes 5 minutes with 2 people
- The awning provides shade and protection from the sun and wind
- Plenty of headroom
What I Don’t Like…
- The awning can be damaged in wind storms
- One of the heaviest tent on the list
Similar Tent: Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow Tent – Click Here
3.Latourreg Outdoor Safari Glamping Tent (Most Breathable)
- Size: diameter 4m bell tent, the top height of 250 cm, side wall height of 60 cm, door high of 150cm. It is a polygonal base and can accommodate 4-5 people(can place 2 Queen size bed, or 1Queen size...
- Fabric & pole: Fabric made of waterprof and durable 900D Oxford cloth with 5000mm waterprof PU coating, color of off white; Diameter 38 x 1.2 mm galvanized steel pipe as center pole and Diameter 19 mm...
- Ground sheet: Heavy duty floor mat using 540gsm PVC with 5000mm waterprof PU coating, brown color. (It is removable and connected to the side wall by SBS zipper, the bell tent comes with a floor mat...
The Latourreg Outdoor Safari Glamping Tent provides excellent ventilation and comfort in the Black Rock Desert.
It features large windows and sides that can be rolled up, providing plenty of airflow on hot days.
There is also the option to install a stove jack, allowing you to stay warm at night while everyone else shivers. Contrary to popular belief, deserts get very cold at night.
During the day, the white color reflects the sun, making your experience all the more enjoyable.
It also holds up well in rain, which is also common at Burning Man. This is because it’s made from 900D oxford cloth, which is fully waterproof.
And if that wasn’t enough, you also get a hook for hanging a lantern or clothes.
However, there are some cons…
Most importantly, the biggest size weighs 107lbs. While the smaller sizes are lighter, they are still relatively heavy.
Make sure you bring some muscle when transporting this tent!
In addition, some people complained about a toxic chemical smell.
What I Like…
- The large door and multiple windows provide excellent ventilation.
- White color reflects the sun during the day.
- Option to install a stove jack for nighttime
- It’s made from waterproof 900D oxford cloth
What I Don’t Like…
- It has a slight toxic smell, which could be overwhelming for some people.
- The biggest size weighs 107lbs
4.Vidalido Dome Camping Tent (Best For Couples)
- MULTIFUNCTION USE:Conical appearance, with enough space and height inside, can make people stand inside the tent without restriction.When you travel outdoors, if you need to change clothes, this tent...
- SUPERIOR CONSTRUCTION:The tipi family tent is made of anti-tear 190T patterned polyester and 150D Oxford fabric for long lasting performance. Premium anti-rust and reinforced steel tent poles provide...
- COST PERFORMANCE:This tent has a capacity of 5-6 people! Perfect for family camping or adventures with friends. This is the perfect family tent for any adventure! High Quality,Extremely...
The Vidalido Dome Tent is like a mini version of the Latourreg Glamping Tent. This makes it excellent for couples looking to enjoy the Burning Man Festival together.
It comes in multiple color options: black, white, and yellow. My advice is to stick with either white or yellow because black will be unbearably hot.
If it gets too warm inside your tent, just remove the outer layer exposing only the mesh inner layer. This means you can stargaze while staying protected from mosquitoes and bugs.
And guess what? It only weighs around 14lbs, making it much easier to carry than other tents listed above weighing anywhere from 25-40+ lbs.
Great news for all the folks with bad backs, huh!?
Once at your campsite, setup can be done in 10 minutes by 1 person. However, it will be much faster with 2 people. Although the setup is straightforward, the instruction manual is terrible.
But how does it perform in bad weather!?
According to previous customers, it holds up well during bad weather conditions. This includes rain, wind, and dust storms.
If you decide to use the Vidalido Camping Tent with more than 2 people, it’s difficult for everybody to stand up. This is because the headroom decreases as you reach the sides.
Just something to be aware of.
What I Like…
- Excellent choice for couples
- Multiple color options: black, white, or yellow.
- The outer layer can be removed for airflow
- 10 minutes setup time
What I Don’t Like…
- Bad setup instructions
- Difficult for more than 2 people to stand up fully
5. KAZOO Family Camping Tent (Best Waterproof Pick)
- ✔ Maximum Capacity: With a dimension of 161X80 in., KAZOO 8 person family camping tent provides excellent capacity and clearance. It accommodates 8 adults standing upright in the tent without...
- ✔Easy Setup with one Central Pole: Premium material is used on KAZOO 8 person camping tent to ensure long lasting performance. Anti-rust iron central pole provides a sturdy structural support. The...
- ✔ Waterproof and Double Laye: KAZOO 8 person camping tent incorporates a double-layered design that consists of a mesh interior and a waterproof rainfly. The rainfly is made of full-coverage...
The Kazoo Camping Tent is a great choice for anyone who wants a reliable waterproof tent.
Thanks to the 3000mm rating rainfly, you stay dry even in the worst weather conditions.
It’s similar to the Vidalido Camping Tent, but it’s bigger, making it an excellent choice for larger groups (up to 4 people!). You can also remove the rainfly, which exposes the mesh interior and prevents bugs from entering.
Inside has plenty of room. There is space for a queen-sized air mattress, even with the center pole in the middle! Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for the Vidalido Tent.
And at 23lbs, it’s also heavier than the Vidalido Tent…
But still lightweight enough to transport to your camping area.
If you find yourself overheating, you can put up the awning and enjoy a cold beer.
Unfortunately, ventilation is not the best when the rainfly is attached. However, it can be removed for excellent airflow.
What I Like…
- 3000mm rating waterproof rainfly
- Bigger than the the Vidalido Camping Tent
- Mesh inner layer
What I Don’t Like…
- Even though it’s advertised for 8 people, it works better for 4 people.
- With the rainfly attached, ventilation is not the best.
6. Naturehike Backpacking Camping Tent (Best For 1 Person)
- LARGE SIZE FOR 1 PERSON -- Double layers. Inner layer size: 80.7”(L) x 37.4”(W) x 43.3”(H). Outer layer with extra 24” long vestibule for storage room, compact and spacious. Ultralight Weight:...
- FULLY SEAM WATERPROOF & DURABLE -- Rainfly: 20D nylon, silicon coated(PU 4000mm)/210T nylon(PU 3000mm) with excellent UV resistance(UPF 30+); Inner tent: 210T ripstop fabric(PU 3000mm), can support...
- PACKS SMALL & STURDY -- It can be stored in the 15.7” x φ5.9” (40 x φ15cm) bag, making it super portable. This 1 person tent is suitable for 3-4 seasons and preferred use for hiking, cycling,...
A lot of people think they can’t go to Burning Man by themself. But it’s totally possible!
This tent is great for solo festival-goers, and it’s also the lightest on our list (2.6lbs)
Plus, it has some cool features to make your experience even better:
A front porch to store dirty shoes and other equipment, an inside pocket to keep personal belongings safe (though I wish there was another one added), and a small lantern hook for easier nighttime visibility.
Although not the biggest tent on this list, it offers exceptional protection against wind, dust storms, and heavy rain.
It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty. Also, if you’re unhappy with your purchase, you can contact Naturehike to discuss a refund.
However, there are just two disadvantages with this little camping buddy…
It’s not the best option for individuals taller than 6 feet, and changing clothes can be pretty difficult when inside.
Definitely not impossible, though.
What I Like…
- Perfect for solo festival-goers.
- It is the lightest tent on this list.
- Exceptional protection against wind, dust storms, and heavy rain.
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
What I Don’t Like…
- It’s not the best option for taller people (over 6 feet).
- Changing clothes can be pretty difficult when inside.
7.Coleman Dome 6-Person Tent (Hot Weather Protection)
- DARK ROOM TECHNOLOGY: Blocks 90% of sunlight (vs. a comparable Coleman tent) so you can sleep in past sunrise
- REDUCES HEAT: For a more comfortable rest anytime of day
- WEATHERPROOF: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; included rainfly offers extra weather protection; strong frame withstands 35+ mph winds
The Coleman Dome Tent is the perfect tent for hot weather camping. The built-in Darkroom technology keeps the inside cooler, while the screened porch provides storage and a place to relax without being bothered by bugs.
Setup is easy and takes only 5 minutes. Plus, there’s plenty of space inside for you and your camping buddies.
And, If you’re camping as a couple, you can fit a queen-sized air mattress with space leftover for equipment.
What more could you want!?
An E-port allows you to charge your phone, even in the middle of nowhere! However, using your phone at Burning Man is frowned upon by some – just so you know.
There are 2 sizes to choose from: 4-person and 6-person. I recommend getting the 6-person tent. This is because it has a center height of 6 feet, so you can stand up.
The 4-person tent only reaches 4 feet 11 inches, which is considerably smaller.
So, are there any downsides you should be aware of?
The rainfly doesn’t cover the screened porch. That means you can’t leave your gear there when it starts raining.
In addition, Center height decreases as you reach the outer edges.
What I Like…
- DarkRoom Technology keeps it cooler inside
- E-Port for charging electric devices
- Bug-proof screened porch
- 6 feet center height (on 6 person option)
What I Don’t Like…
- Rainfly doesn’t cover the screened porch
- Less headroom towards the outer edges
8.Original Lotus Belle Red (Best Premium Pick)
- BEST SELLING TENT IN THE US – Our thick, heavy duty cotton canvas is environmentally friendly, durable and waterproof
- ADJUSTIBLE CLIMATE- The unique design in this deluxe model has zippable mesh windows and PVC windows allowing you to control the temperature
- MOST BREATHABLE TENT – Bigger roof tents, mesh windows, mesh doors and canvas door increases ventilation. Groundsheet Velcro flaps keep unwanted bugs out.
The Lotus Belle Red Tent is for those who want to experience the Burning Man Festival in style. It’s more like a vacation home than a standard camping tent.
Having been tested in 60mph winds, it holds up fine in extreme weather conditions. If you buy this tent, you can sleep well knowing it’s designed to last for many years.
That means you can use it for future Burning Man festivals!
The windows can be zipped up when the temperature drops, but they can also be unzipped during the day for increased airflow.
In addition, the outer material is duck canvas, which is both waterproof and tough. Duck canvas also prevents mold and algae from growing in damp conditions.
Compared to other tents on this list, it’s one of the most spacious. That’s why I recommend it for larger groups.
However, there are a few downsides to consider. For example, the dark red color attracts heat and there is no hole for a stove jack. But, if you do want to install one, you can make the hole yourself.
For information on how to do this, contact Lotus Belle.
What I Like…
- Eye-catching design
- Been tested in 60mph winds
- The windows can be zipped up when it gets dark or the temperature drops.
- Made from duck canvas, which is waterproof and tough.
What I Don’t Like…
- Dark color attracts heat
- No hole for a stove jack
9.The North Face Stormbreak Tent (Best Ease Of Use)
- EASY PITCH. Our easy-to-pitch, two-person camping tent is refreshed for spring with a new vestibule design that makes camping in adverse weather more enjoyable. Larger doors allow for easier access,...
- COMFORTABLE DESIGN. Easy to get in and out, this tent features two doors and two twin-zip, multi-configuration vestibules. Keep comfortable with high-low ventilation for optimal airflow while you're...
- EASY ACCESS. Doors stuff into the adjacent mesh pockets so you don't have to roll them up and they stay out of the way while your tent is set up.
The North Face Stormbreak Tent is perfect for those who want a stress-free festival experience. This tent is lightweight and easy to set up, making it perfect for festival-goers who want to avoid hassles.
You get 2 doors for ventilation, as well as 2 vestibules for storing dirty shoes and personal belongings. I like this feature because the tent is small, so the vestibules prevent cluttering.
The inner mesh layer means you can stargaze with the rainfly removed. Plus, the compartments inside offer plenty of room to store personal belongings.
But here’s the best thing…
Thanks to the poles that cross each other in an X shape, it has excellent protection against wind and dust storms.
However, it’s worth noting that this tent is not designed to keep you warm in cold weather, so make sure you wrap up at night!
Also, there is only 1 size option (2-person).
What I Like…
- Lightweight with an easy setup
- 2 doors for excellent ventilation
- Inner mesh walls let you stargaze at night
- The strong design offers wind protection
What I Don’t Like…
- Doesn’t keep you warm at night
- Only has 1 size option
Similar Tent: Alps Mountaineering Lynx 2 Person Tent – Click Here
How To Choose The Best Tents For Burning Man Festival
Size & People
Burning man lasts for 8 days. And if you plan on staying for the entire duration, you need a spacious tent. Of course, tent size also depends on the number of people you’re going with.
Many tents are advertised as being big enough for a specific number of people. However, that’s not normally the case. At least, when you consider additional space for personal belongings and equipment.
My advice is to check out customer reviews.
It’s not uncommon for people to mention how many people a tent can fit.
You also have to consider the headroom.
For Burning Man, you need a tent that lets you stand up. Not only does this allow you to easily change clothes, but also provides comfort.
Here’s one thing I hate about Burning Man…
The mosquitoes and other bugs! 
Unless prepared, they are bound to annoy you.
Thankfully, you’re smart enough to be reading this article, so that won’t happen!
So, how do you stop getting bitten by these bugs?
You need a mesh tent. If the mesh is fine enough, it stops bugs from entering. But that’s only one side of the coin.
What about when you leave the tent?
When leaving your tent, you need mosquito repellent spray.
It’s no surprise that temperatures sky-rocket at Burning Man. Therefore, buying a dark-colored tent is a recipe for disaster.
It will attract the heat, making your experience unbearably miserable.
To prevent this, you need a lighter-colored tent. Lighter tents reflect the sun, keeping you cool.
The best color is white.
Light blue, beige, and yellow are also great options.
Dust Storm Proof
If there’s one thing you’re likely to encounter at Burning Man, it’s a dust storm.
With more people showing up each year, dust particles are thrown around. Wind can also cause these types of storms.
Regardless, you need a tent that can handle dust. Not something we normally think about when camping, right!?
To stop dust from entering, make sure the windows and doors can be fully enclosed.
Rain is rather common at the Burning Man Festival .
However, it doesn’t last for long.
On average, you get about 30-minute rain intervals. But that’s not to say it won’t last longer.
In fact, Burning Man had to close its gates in 2014 after 2 days of heavy rain.
That’s why it’s crucial to find a waterproof tent. Heavy rain in deserts can lead to flash floods, so it’s important to stay prepared.
All the tents on this list are waterproof.
With the sun beating down all day, you need ventilation.
Unless you want to feel like you’re in an oven!
Look for something with multiple doors and windows. That way, you can open them up and let some air flow through.
For maximum ventilation, I recommend a bell tent.
With these types of tents, you can sometimes roll up the sides. This provides excellent ventilation, so you can have a comfortable experience at Burning Man.
Screened Porch Or Awning (Optional)
Because of the extreme heat, it’s also nice to have a screened porch or awning.
It provides an area of shade where you can enjoy a cold beverage.
You can also use a screened porch to store equipment. This means you have more living space inside your tent, which is always better, right!?
Tent Alternatives For Burning Man 2022
If a tent is not your style, you can always bring an RV.
However, there are some rules you need to follow.
For starters, close all the air vents. This will protect you from dust storms should they arise.
In addition, it’s best not to poop in your RV unless you plan on getting your black and gray water pumped. Otherwise, it can build up and leave a nasty smell for other festival-goers.
Join A Camp
Joining a camp at Burning Man means you have to provide something in return. This can be anything, from bike repairs to changing tires. If you’re lucky enough, you can also find a camp that offers somewhere to sleep.
Use A Hammock
If you fancy it, you can always sleep in a hammock.
However, you need to also bring a carport or some type of protection. Otherwise, you will be covered in dust.
You also have to consider the low temperatures at night. Don’t sleep in a hammock unless you have adequate clothing to stay warm.
Get A ShiftPod
Shiftpods are becoming more and more popular at Burning Man.
They come in multiple sizes and look like something from outer space. You can be sure to grab people’s attention when camping in one of these bad boys.
The reason they are so popular is because they do an excellent job of reflecting heat. In addition, their windproof design ensures they stand strong in storms.
To purchase a Shiftpod, click here.
Your Guide To The Burning Man Festival (FAQs)
Can you go to Burning Man alone?
Many people enjoy Burning Man by themself.
And just because you go solo, doesn’t mean you won’t meet people. After all, how can you be lonely when surrounded by 80,000 people!?
Going by yourself means you need to bring your own vehicle. Unless you can find somebody willing to drop you off and pick you up.
For more information about how to prepare for the Burning Man Festival, click here.
Can you leave Burning Man early?
Yes, you can leave any time you want.
However, if you arrived by shared vehicle, there are some obstacles to work around.
For example, how will you get back home?
My advice is to use the Burner Express Air. This is an air service designed specifically for Burners. But be warned – it’s not the most budget-friendly option.
Will Burning Man Go Ahead In 2022?
For the past 2 years, Burning Man has been canceled due to Covid-19. However, things are looking more positive now. In fact, festival organizers have already released a theme for the year 2022 – walking dreams.
So, it looks like it’s going ahead.
Does Burning Man Have Showers?
Most camps have a shower structure set up. However, don’t forget to bring your own water, as it’s all about self-reliance.
If you’re not part of a camp, you have 2 options…
- Bring your own camp shower and water.
- Use baby wipes and deodorant.
Here’s the thing…
As soon as you have a shower, you will be dirty again within 5 minutes. This is because of the dust in the air.
Burning Man is an excellent festival, providing you plan accordingly.
Make sure to choose a tent with good ventilation and enough space. You also need something that can withstand dust storms and rain.
If a tent doesn’t tickle your fancy, why not rent an RV?
Either way, September will roll around quickly, so it’s best to prepare early.